[Xcb] Developer mad at libx11-xcb

Kris Maglione jg at suckless.org
Sat Feb 2 19:57:59 PST 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:46:30PM -0800, Barton C Massey wrote:
>Please help me understand the problem here; maybe we can
>help.  What exactly are we missing?

As far as I can tell, and the people in #xcb seemed to agree,
there's no simple way to draw multi-byte strings in xcb. In
particular, Xlib has a disaster of a system that it calls font
sets, and the likes of X(mb|utf8)DrawString, which amalgamates
multiple fonts to get the characters it needs.

>As far as I know, we don't do anything clever enough with
>property strings to mess up UTF-8.  Do you mean converting
>between UTF-8 in your app and wacky formats in the
>properties?

No, it's X11 that does things funny. When I use the
Xutf8GetTextProperty or what have you, it gives me a UTF-8
string, whether the property was a STRING, UTF8_STRING, TEXT, or
whatever else. I don't even want to think of the lengths it goes
to. I can probably get away with ignoring properties which
aren't STRINGs or UTF8_STRINGs, but I fear that I'll get bitten
when some Japanese or Arabic user ends up with COMPOUND_TEXT
(which I have no desire to handle myself).

--
Kris Maglione

The other line moves faster.

PGP: http://suckless.org/~jg/pubkey.pgp
SHA1 (pubkey.pgp) = 2d464f9dbb186bee6f4faa88e2f6c5802bcfd935