[Xcb] Few questions about the X selections

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:36:48 PST 2008

Hi,

I am working on my own X toolkit, and I am now facing the hard part, the ICCCM, or the "ICE Cube: the Lethal weapon....", :-)

Well, I don't think that ICCCM is that bad, but you probably will agree that it is qute hard to understand and implement.

Anyway, is there a tool to debug the X selections.
Like to send the ConvertSelection with various types, see the owner of the selection, and so on...

It isn't hard at all to write one, but it still takes some time.

Btw, I will probably write a broad application for X debugging, an application
to get as much as possible information from X server, like the windows properties/hierarchy/selection/focus.

I am only aware now of xprop/xwininfo/xlsatoms, and xdpyinfo of course.

Besides all the information about the parts of ICCCM that are still relevant, and those that I can ignore is welcome.

My goal is minimum compliance with ICCCM to make my toolkit work more or less ok on modern desktops.

I am doing this just for fun, and my primary goal is to write small toolkit to use in my own applications I like to write.
Please don't advise me stop writing it since it is  waste of time, and there are good tookits already - I am doing this for fun, and to better understand the X and linux/unix in general, and I like low level stuff anyway.

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky