[Xcb] Few questions about the X selections

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Sat Jan 26 10:34:27 PST 2008

In message <18071eea0801260842t7a2dbd5dhb9fd7b17dae02ddd at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> On 26/01/2008, Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on my own X toolkit, and I am now facing the hard part, the ICCCM, or the "ICE Cube: the Lethal weapon....", :-)
>
> Why are you writing your own toolkit?  Waste of time.

Oh shut up.  It's his time to "waste", and I'm all for him
wasting it if he wants to.  Do you write software?  If so,
why?  Waste of time.

> > Anyway, is there a tool to debug the X selections.
> > Like to send the ConvertSelection with various types, see the owner of the selection, and so on...
> >
> > It isn't hard at all to write one, but it still takes some time.
>
> Well, that depends.  xev and xscope might help you.

There's also various other things that have X protocol
analyzers now, such as wireshark.  A lot of folks are
debugging by running Xephyr under GDB.

We could really use a good selections analysis and
conversion tool, as Maxim describes, though.  I've thought
about writing one myself, but haven't had the time.  You're
probably aware of xclip, but it only deals with text
selections and really doesn't provide much debugging.  I'd
love to see someone extend or replace it to support
arbitrary mime types and to give better information about
what's going on.

> > Besides all the information about the parts of ICCCM that are still relevant, and those that I can ignore is welcome.
>
> All of it is relevant.  Don't go and do what the EWMH has done, and
> shun bits of it.

EWMH is a current standard.  Use it.

    Bart