[Xcb] Xcb vs XVideo

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Jul 8 09:33:51 PDT 2008

As you have noticed, both XCB and Xlib have C bindings for
the XVideo extension to the X protocol; Xine has chosen to
use XCB's.  I can't speak for the folks in the Xine project,
who you should probably ask about their design choices.

At a guess, the major advantage offered by XCB in this
application is probably the ability to talk to the server
from multiple simultaneous threads without worrying about
locking (from the library's point of view---obviously the
sequence of calls presented has to be correct).  Xlib's
locking in this situation is full of bugs and misfeatures,
and requires a lot of explicit code in any case.

	Bart