[Xcb] Google Summer of Code - Porting X utilities to XCB

Ahmed S. Darwish darwish.07 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 00:55:16 PDT 2008

Hi all,

[ Resending mail cause the original didn't appear in archives
  for 24 hours. Sorry if this is a duplicate ]

I would like to sumbit a proposal for porting X utilities to XCB.

My main goal is to start porting the basic X applications to XCB
thus gaining a good feeling of Xorg design, code and structure. After
getting enough confidence, hopefully I'll jump to GDK to do the same.

Any advice before submitting the proposal on 24 March ?

Admittedly I have no experience in Xorg codebase or even Xlib, but
I'm very passionate about this project cause it will finally put
me to an end of dealing with X as a complete (and fearful) blackbox.

It's not my first time to deal with a huge codebase. I've been
working with the Linux Kernel community for several months now
enhancing SMACK and the Linux Security Modules layer (*). My kernel
work also includes a number of bugfixes and cleanups for other
kernel subsystems.

On the user-space side, I have done two C projects incorporating GLIB,
thus hopefully working in GDK won't be too opaque. On the higher
side, there's the basic Unix development, administration and scripting
skills.

Thank you

(*) http://search.gmane.org/?query=&author=darwish.07%40gmail.com&sort=date

--