[Xcb] XCB I/O mechanism - Native win32 port

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Mar 31 01:40:03 PDT 2008

In message <200803310936.34655.jeetu.golani at gmail.com> you wrote:
> > The policy you'd need to implement are is fairly simple
> > and well documented.
>
> Do you mean the X meets Z paper as the policy that should be implemented? or
> is there other documentation? I don't know the Z structure and if there's
> other documentation that would be great.

There's some other papers on XCB.  Dig around a little, and
if you can't find them I'll dig them up.

All you really need to implement is a queue of replies that
have not yet been requested by the client, so that when the
client does request them they are available.  The client
thread should be blocked until their reply arrives.

> > The question as to which thread (or threads)
> > wakes up when they are all blocked on a select() is
> > important to our code, and as far as I know POSIX is silent
> > on it. We measured several UNIX platforms and they all do
> > the same thing, but does Windows?
>
> Any simpl enough code with which I could test pthreads-win32 and win32 which
> would answer your question above? Maybe the code you used to measure on UNIX
> platforms??

Heh.  I re-created that code and started playing with it,
and am now kind of baffled by some apparently wrong
assumptions I had apparently made. :-)

I'll post the code when I've talked to Jamey and gotten my
head back on straight.

    Bart