[Xcb] xcb-render-util crashs

Ian Osgood iano at quirkster.com
Mon Nov 17 09:33:30 PST 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:

> At 1226938637 time_t, Ian Osgood wrote:
>> Sorry, I thought you had answered your own question with [1].
>>
>> Don't call any Render protocol, such as anything in render-util,
>> until you verify its presence on the server as you did with Xinerama.
>
> So you rather think it's a bug in cairo than in xcb-renderutil?
> Just to be clear.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Julien Danjou
> // ᐰ <julien at danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info
> // 9A0D 5FD9 EB42 22F6 8974  C95C A462 B51E C2FE E5CD

Yes, as currently designed the call to xcb_render_util_query_version()
on line 1767 of cairo_xcb_surface.c must be preceded by a check for the
Render extension.  After that, major = minor = -1 and all the
CAIRO_SURFACE_RENDER_HAS macros will return false. You would also
need to comb through the code to make sure there are cairo or
core X fallbacks for every potential use of Render protocol.
(cairo was originally designed as a convenience library for
Render, so that might take some work.)

Ian