[Xcb] Change type="CARD8" to type="char" where the X specs require a STRING8

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Mon Oct 6 11:04:24 PDT 2008

Barton C Massey wrote:
> No, it looks like we never pushed that one.
>
> I'm fine with it, but I'm not sure I'm understanding it.
> Why does it make a big difference one way or the other?

I'm not sure about Thomas, but in my Lua XCB binding generator, I treat
a list of CARD8 as an array of integers and a list of char as a string.

C doesn't differentiate between strings and arrays of 1-byte integers,
but other languages do.

Currently, there is asymmetry. PseudoCode:
 name = get_atom_name(intern_atom("_NET_WM_NAME"))

name is not "_NET_WM_NAME", as you might expect, but { 137, 78, 69, 84,
... }

For the record, I am in favour of Thomas' patch.

Peter Harris
--
     Hummingbird Connectivity - A Division of Open Text
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.hummingbird.com