[Xcb] XPutImage and context switches / roundtrips?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:21:07 PDT 2008

Hi,

Sorry for the additional traffic.
Running a benchmark testing the scenario described earlier my system
(with a dual-core CPU) does 10.000 context switches per second, which
clearly related with the amount of 32x32x8 tiles I send down using
XPutImage.
So it seems the flush in this case does trigger a context switch.

Is there anything that can be done against this?
Maybe increasing the buffer to something like 32kB, I guess this size
would be perfect for my use-case - but I have read somewhere that the
size is fixed to 4kb and can not be chaged at run-time, not even at
compile-time (which would be useless for me anyway).
Could the BigRequest extension used for this?

Thank you in advance, Clemens