[Xcb] Tiny cleanup patch that removes some code duplication

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Sat Sep 20 05:48:09 PDT 2008

At 1221913931 time_t, Henning Sten wrote:
> Would it be possible to just consider WM_NAME to be a legacy thing and then set only _NET_WM_NAME? Do we know any programs that would break from doing this? As far as I understand almost all window managers implement at least basic EWMH like _NET_WM_NAME?

Yes but you can't be sure, and anyway it's not very hard to support
both, so…

> I also wonder about; isn't WM_NAME a ICCCM thing while _NET_WM_NAME is a EWMH thing? If so, does it really make sense to start to mix EWMH concepts into the xcb-util/icccm directory? Or should this directory be renamed into xcb-util/wmhints or xcb-util/icccm_ewmh or similar? Would it be better to create xcb-util/ewmh directory next to the xcb-util/icccm? This might lead to quasi similar code to two places though.

I agree, EWMH stuff should not be in icccm.

> Even after browsing around the EWMH/ICCCM specs and wikipedia etc, I'm still a little bit confused about these specs. For example:
>
> * Is EWMH only an extension to ICCCM or is it a replacement for ICCCM?

Extension. Read full EWMH specs and you'll see they refers to ICCCM for
some stuff (like window hints, etc).

> * Currently most programs show duplicate properties in xprop (i.e. both WM_NAME and _NET_WM_NAME etc). Is it planned to stop having duplicate properties eventually? What is holding this back?

I don't think so.
I really like to drop such old broken standards, but well, it's gonna be
hard. ;-)

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou