[Xcb] window manager?

Michele Comignano comick at autistici.org
Mon Aug 3 01:04:49 PDT 2009

Il Wednesday 22 July 2009 21:31:13 Marco Carmosino ha scritto:
> Hello all.
>
> I would like to build a window manager using XCB. I have never
> programmer for X before, I have no experience using Xlib, and I am
> completely ignorant of the X11 protocol. I am having trouble finding
> documentation to bring myself up to speed.

I've started a wm for a university project. Not for production, but for my
personal interest in knowing how the things work. As someone else stated, is
not a (so) good idea to write a new wm from scratch. But knowing how a wm
works making a simple one is certainly a good skill.

> I interested in really understanding what is going on with X.org and
> the X11 protocol, so I can craft a decent wm. Please point me at the
> best resources for generating a complete understanding.

The main resources I'm using are:
- xlib programming (freely avalilable) (especially window management and
interclient communication chapters) http://www.sbin.org/doc/Xlib/
- xcb tutorial (to join X concepts with xcb library programming style)
- xcbutil-wm an old attempt to make a library for wm makers containing
essential code to understand basis of window management.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xcb/util/tree/wm?id=0.3.3
- awesome wm source code (it's written using xcb) http://awesome.naquadah.org/