[Xcb] EWMH API for XCB

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Dec 16 08:48:51 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 07:42:59AM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Since it's not an incompatible change, couldn't it be done in a R7 of the
> X11 protocol spec?   (Even though we claim the katamari is X11R7.x now,
> the last X11 protocol spec update was R6.8, when we defined the new
> constants & address families for IPv6.)

I'd forgotten the X protocol even *had* a minor version, but that's
still set to 0. (See X_PROTOCOL_REVISION in either X.h or xcb.h.)

I don't think there's any infrastructure for handling minor protocol
version bumps in any of the client libraries. It might have been better
to do a minor version change instead of an extension for big-requests
and for generic events, but since the facility is untested I suppose
we'll continue using extensions to describe protocol changes.

Jamey