[Xcb] EWMH API for XCB

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at andesi.org
Wed Dec 16 10:58:44 PST 2009

Hi,

    > A nice  way to test a multi-screen setup is  with Xnest or Xephyr,
    >  which let  you  configure several  screens  that all  show up  as
    > windows on your real screen.

Yes, I usually Xephyr which is really useful for testing.

    > Cool, I like this much better! I hope passing the screen number to
    > all those calls doesn't make using this code too painful?

I think that's ok as it's  just one parameter, and it couldn't have been
fixed otherwise IMO.

    > Minor further suggestions, in xcb_ewmh_init_atoms:

    > You don't need to count the number of screens. You have a bunch of
    > options, but since you're  getting an iterator over them, I'd just
    > set ewmh-> nb_screens  = screen_iter.rem before using the iterator
    >  in   any  loops.   Or   if  you  want   your  code  to   be  more
    >      self-explanatory,      set      ewmh->      nb_screens      =
    > xcb_setup_roots_length(setup).

You're right,  I used  these functions  quite a while  ago but  I didn't
check when I wrote my code. Thanks much. I have committed it there[0]

    > Each entry in wm_cm_sn is used only once, so I'd declare it inside
    > the loop  as a single buffer that you reuse  each time, instead of
    > using C99's variable-length arrays (VLA). It's nice that C99 added
    > VLA  support, but you don't need  it here, and last  I checked GDB
    > did a bad job debugging functions with VLAs in them.

Thanks. I have committed there[1].

    >> Hrm ok, oops... I have silently and discretly edited my previous
    >> commit to hide that :).

    > Nicely done. ;-) Looks right to me now, and the history clearly
    > shows that it was right all along. ;-)

;)

    > I'm not as concerned as you are about consistency across different
    > projects, but I think there's  a lot of value in documenting "best
    > practices"  for setting up these projects.  I'd completely approve
    > of additions to the wiki  about these topics, but of course it's a
    > wiki, so you don't need my approval anyway. :-)

Thanks for  all the comments  again! I will  commit a patch  tomorrow to
ship ewmh as its own library.

Cheers,
Arnaud

[0] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~arnau/xcb-util/commit/?h=xcb-ewmh&id=137eb9e775e920e217ed4ae70d69d1f482a4472a