[Xcb] Project ideas?

RALOVICH, Kristóf kristof.ralovich at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 08:32:42 PST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 19:40, Arnaud Fontaine <arnaud at andesi.org> wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
>    > XCB port of Xephyr ?
>
> Yes,  it  sounds interesting  too  but not  so  exciting  compared to  a
> compositing manager IMO ;). Thanks for the idea anyway.
>
>    > There was an  SoC project to port Mesa to XCB.   It did a bunch of
>    > useful  things, but didn't really  result in a  fully working port
>    > IIRC.
>
> For now, I don't know a lot  of things about 3D, but, just curious, what
> is the status of this port? I  couldn't find a lot of relevant things on
> google.

I am the one who did some advancements to xcb support in Mesa during
gsoc 2008. I have written a final report on my work
(http://kristofralovich.blogspot.com/2008/09/gsoc-2008-project-report.html),
but let me try to answer the questions raised here.

0) GLX is an extension for the X wire protocol. GLX also has an API
(glX??? calls) aligned with the Xlib API (this API is implemented
inside eg. Mesa). Although the GLX protocol is similar to the GLX API,
there is a huge gap between them (Mesa)! xcb_glx is a C language
binding for GLX protocol (requests and replies), which is again, not
equivalent with the GLX API! Don't get confused!

1) Xcb and OpenGL has anything to do with each other is during
indirect rendering. This stands for proprietary drivers too.

2) Mesa configured with --enable-xcb and run in indirect rendering
uses *mostly* the xcb protocol binding calls (xcb_glx_??) for wire
communication. Mostly, since
- a few requests were definitely forgotten:( and
- VendorPrivate requests would require some machinery inside Mesa to
auto generate wrappers over individual xcb_glx_vendor_private_???
calls (think of VendorPrivate requests as an extension to GLX).

This year I am planning on submitting an other GSOC project for
resolving the last two issues.