[Xcb] window manager?

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Jul 22 14:26:49 PDT 2009

In message <24a7fa6d0907221231w7443690ew3695f20dec467b4c at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I would like to build a window manager using XCB. I have never
> programmer for X before, I have no experience using Xlib, and I am
> completely ignorant of the X11 protocol. I am having trouble finding
> documentation to bring myself up to speed.
>
> I interested in really understanding what is going on with X.org and
> the X11 protocol, so I can craft a decent wm. Please point me at the
> best resources for generating a complete understanding.

It would be best to find a decent book on X.  I'm not sure
what the best current one is; there hasn't been a good one,
to my knowledge, for a long time.

There are protocol documents at X.org that describe X,
ICCCM, and EWMH, which are probably all things you'll need
to know.

Building a window manager is non-trivial.  I'd suggest that
you start with something much simpler to learn X.

Good luck with your project!

    Bart Massey
    bart at cs.pdx.edu