[Xcb] xpyb and pycairo

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Jul 22 14:34:41 PDT 2009

Glad to see you getting started!  I'm not a Python guy and
thus can't answer most of your questions.  The Xlib/XCB
thing, though, I think I can.

In principle, Cairo has an XCB backend for rendering.  In
practice, last I heard it didn't actually work.  So Cairo
drawing is normally done using Xlib under the hood to
generate X protocol.

You are correct that the xids (e.g. pixmap ids) used by XCB
and Xlib are essentially the server's business, and can
intermigrate.  Further, we have arranged things with Xlib
and XCB such that you can freely mix XCB calls from your
application with the Xlib calls made by Cairo to render your
stuff.  The only real trick is getting an XCB connection
object from the Xlib display object; there's a routine in
XCB for this, but you have to get your hands on the display
first.

xft is a font rendering thing, and pango is a text rendering
thing atop xft.  imlib2 is a raster image processing
library.  cairo is a drawing library.  So they all do
different things, really.

Hope this helps.

	Bart