[Xcb] window manager?

Marco Carmosino mogunus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 14:58:56 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Barton C Massey<bart at cs.pdx.edu> wrote:
> In message <24a7fa6d0907221231w7443690ew3695f20dec467b4c at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> I would like to build a window manager using XCB. I have never
>> programmer for X before, I have no experience using Xlib, and I am
>> completely ignorant of the X11 protocol. I am having trouble finding
>> documentation to bring myself up to speed.
>>
>> I interested in really understanding what is going on with X.org and
>> the X11 protocol, so I can craft a decent wm. Please point me at the
>> best resources for generating a complete understanding.
>
> It would be best to find a decent book on X.  I'm not sure
> what the best current one is; there hasn't been a good one,
> to my knowledge, for a long time.
>
> There are protocol documents at X.org that describe X,
> ICCCM, and EWMH, which are probably all things you'll need
> to know.
>
> Building a window manager is non-trivial.  I'd suggest that
> you start with something much simpler to learn X.
>
> Good luck with your project!
>
>    Bart Massey
>    bart at cs.pdx.edu

Does this series of books look good?

It seems to be the last set of complete reference docs for the X
window system. Was there anything like this published after 1996?

Where can I find the protocol docs at X.org? The closest thing to
protocol docs I could find was
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications, and those seem to be
mostly drafts, and the Architecture Working Group page doesn't seem to
actually link to docs for the architectures.

I realize that building a window manager is non-trivial. My intention
is to look at and modify example programs in high-quality reference
material to practice, and then move on to building a window manager.
This will probably take quite some time, which I don't mind. My
development process will necessarily be slow anyway, as I am going to
be creating common lisp bindings for xcb as I go along. CL bindings
exist for xlib, but I think they should exist for xcb too.

Thanks for your help,

--Mog