[Xcb] no extern "C" in the generated header files

Peter Harris git at peter.is-a-geek.org
Sun Mar 8 13:37:55 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Vincent Torri wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Peter Harris wrote:
>
>> I just picked two C projects at random (Lua and Git), and neither one
>> has an extern "C" in any .h file. Clearly, your experience does not
>> match mine.
>
> thanks to be harsch.

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be harsh. I was just saying that I
haven't noticed a lot of C projects including C++ headers.

> I have a 2 dozens of project that i compile and use, and all have extern "C"
> in their header files, to allow linking with c++ compilers without adding
> anything that the inclusion of the header file. But you are such a great
> programmer that i don't discuss anymore of the interest of having extern "C"
> in header files.

Clearly I am not such a great programmer, since I am not familiar with
those dozen projects. I am willing to be enlightened.

It turns out that XCB is one of the projects that does support C++;
did you see the message elsethread that latest libXCB already includes
extern "C"?

> Finally, you and Jamey are the guys that move me away from xcb a bit more

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Peter Harris