[Xcb] xcb-util compiling problems

Peter Harris git at peter.is-a-geek.org
Wed Mar 11 16:02:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Barton C Massey wrote:
> First, my apologies: I was really wrong back in
> February. :-)

Well, at least it was caught before it was included in an official release. :-)

> My current preference would be to do xcb_window_enum_t

[Bikeshed: As long as we're making up new names, I'd rather not
intrude on POSIX reserved namespace -- *_t -- not that xcb_* is too
likely to ever collide, so I don't feel all that strongly about it.]

> for
> just the ones that are altenum, and leave non-altenums
> as-is.  We know that this won't collide on any existing
> stuff, and I'd be surprised if it did on new stuff.
>
> Does this make sense?

Hmm, not really. 'altenum' is a reference to an otherwise ordinary
enum. There is no way to determine how an enum will be used until it
actually gets used. Some (eg InputFocus) are even used as both an enum
and an altenum.

That's why I suggested a white list of known-to-not-collide enums, for
which a backwards compatible type name could be generated. *_enum_t
for every enum not on that list.

Alternatively, the libxcb generator should know when a name will
collide (since its code generator is not streamy), and could generate
the *_enum_t form whenever it sees a collision.

Does that make sense?

Peter Harris