[Xcb] Is XCB's asynchronous mode necessary for a Window Manager?

Michael Stapelberg michael+xcb at stapelberg.de
Mon Oct 12 02:33:26 PDT 2009

Hi Chengqi,

Excerpts from Chengqi Song's message of Mon Oct 12 11:11:40 +0200 2009:
> After digging into xcb's documents and Awesome window manager's source code, I
> have a strong doubt about the necessity of asynchronous operation for a window
> manager.
It is greatly benefitial for reducing the starting time because of the rather
large amount of atoms to get. Also, common operations like mapping a window can
be implemented a bit faster.

> According to XCB's document (http://xcb.freedesktop.org/tutorial/), the main
> improvement of XCB is to reduce the time spent in multiple round trip time into
> one. But for a window manager:
At least for me, the main improvement of XCB is being auto-generated and thus
providing clean data types, function names, the possibility to generate bindings
for any language and containing *a lot* less kludges than Xlib. For the amount
of lines argument you might be true in some areas, but certainly it doesn’t really
matter that much. I prefer having about 500 SLOC more than with xlib rather than
not using xcb.

Best regards,
Michael