[Xcb] Whatever happened to the XCloseDisplay() hooks?

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Oct 19 01:28:42 PDT 2009

In message <1255632576-sup-3416 at yoom.home.cworth.org> you wrote:
> I'm actually surprised you haven't had binding authors require the
> same thing for XCB yet. (Or maybe it's different since you instead
> generate their bindings in their language rather than wrapping the C
> implementation?)

There are fundamental differences between Cairo and XCB.
XCB, as its name implies, is supposed to be as simple a
Protocol binding API as we can figure out how to make it in
a performant fashion. I am willing, at the end of the day,
to subject users to arbitrary inconvenience to avoid that
goal. :-)

Inconveniences in using XCB are supposed to be papered over
by building infrastructure atop it, so that we retain the
strong separation between protocol binding and affordances.
I guess we haven't figured out the perfect way to do that in
this case, but I'm pretty sure we can.

     Bart