[Xcb] Thinking towards 7.6 katamari, including xcb

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Mon Oct 26 13:57:00 PDT 2009

Le 26/10/2009 21:28, Keith Packard a écrit :
>> tbh, I'm not convinced yet of the benefits of shorter release cycles
>> (shorter than 6 months, that is).
>
> I can't support a 6 month cycle in my video driver, and I doubt other
> video drivers could either; hardware changes too fast. If the video
> drivers are to be re-integrated into the server, we'll need some
> compromise in how often the X server is released.

If the server+drivers packages becomes as self-contained as the kernel,
then I think it's fine.

However, if the server "forces" changes like the Xext lib/proto
overhaul, then the benefits are going to be much less.

As for the release cycles, how about having 3 month cycles globally but
the server core stays feature-frozen every other release? At least maybe
for the first release or 2?

Food for thoughts

Cheers,

Rémi