[Xcb] Thinking towards 7.6 katamari, including xcb

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Oct 28 08:38:21 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Alex Deucher's message of Wed Oct 28 08:00:59 -0700 2009:

> So I think the main issue here is making building the
> xserver less daunting.

The key external dependencies here are protocol headers and libdrm;
does anyone have other stuff used in their driver that sees a lot of
churn?

For protocol headers, it seems like with the recent re-work, we should
be at the point where newer headers should remain compatible with old
versions of the server, which at least allows you to always use the
newest headers without fear.

Should we consider combining all of the protocol headers into a single
module as well?

Libdrm is more of an issue as it often changes in sync with Mesa and
driver updates. I don't have a great plan here, aside from the
suggestion that we fix the X server to make building a subset of the
drivers easy so that users wouldn't be affected by libdrm changes for
chips they don't use.

keith.packard at intel.com