[Xcb] Thinking towards 7.6 katamari, including xcb

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Oct 29 11:42:08 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 08:38 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Excerpts from Alex Deucher's message of Wed Oct 28 08:00:59 -0700 2009:
>
> > So I think the main issue here is making building the
> > xserver less daunting.
>
> The key external dependencies here are protocol headers and libdrm;
> does anyone have other stuff used in their driver that sees a lot of
> churn?
>
> For protocol headers, it seems like with the recent re-work, we should
> be at the point where newer headers should remain compatible with old
> versions of the server, which at least allows you to always use the
> newest headers without fear.
>
> Should we consider combining all of the protocol headers into a single
> module as well?

Please yes.  I've wanted this since the original modularization plan.  I
mostly live in the "server + input driver + video driver" update world,
except that the server keeps needing a new point rev of 2-3 different
protos.

I've got 3.6MB in /usr/include/X11, but a lot of that is library
headers.  Developers can easily spare that, and I think every one of us
would gladly make the trade of disk space for time pulling and building
multiple packages to get the build done.  I bet distros will be pretty
happy with this plan as well.

I'm *not* saying that we should merge libs or apps.  Just protos.

> Libdrm is more of an issue as it often changes in sync with Mesa and
> driver updates. I don't have a great plan here, aside from the
> suggestion that we fix the X server to make building a subset of the
> drivers easy so that users wouldn't be affected by libdrm changes for
> chips they don't use.

Libdrm has a pretty strict no-regressions policy.  Old interfaces
continue to exist, and headers keep working.  A far better record than
X.Org's proto and library headers.  We also don't let our driver depend
on unreleased libdrm.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com