[Xcb] xview legacy application failure: xcb_io.c:378: _XAllocID: Assertion `ret != inval_id' failed.

Chris Putnam cdputnam at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 29 09:19:54 PDT 2009

I'm currently using a legacy xview application and I'm getting the following
runtime assertion after my recent upgrade to Fedora 11.

xcb_io.c:378: _XAllocID: Assertion `ret != inval_id' failed.
Abort

(I am playing around getting the application in shape to port to a non-xview
library, but the size the application and the way it was written makes this a
slow process and being able to compile and run refactored versions of
the current code base is pretty important.)

Doing some googling suggests that this assertion fires for many legacy
xview applications and after looking at the xcb archives, it was unclear
if this problem had been reported anywhere but various bugzilla for
different Linux & BSD distributions.  A more useful report is at:

http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.ports/browse_thread/thread/041e5ca32adec9a8/d25cde43a9daa648?lnk=raot&fwc=1

Thanks in advance for your help and please cc me as I'm not subscribed
to the xcb list.

Chris.