[Xcb] Opensuse 11.2 missing xcb_xlib_lock

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Wed Apr 14 01:03:42 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 07:42:29AM +0100, Hearns, John wrote:
> One of our applications has been running just fine under Opensuse 11.1
>
> I install a fresh copy of Opensuse 11.2, then run an online update to
> get all recent patches.
> The application then fails with undefined symbol: xcb_xlib_lock
>
> /usr/lib64/libxcb-xlib.so.0 is there - just seems to be missing
> xcb_xlib_lock
>
> Has Suse missed this routine out in an updator something?
>
> Version is
> xorg-x11-libxcb-32bit-7.4-11.1.x86_64
> xorg-x11-libxcb-devel-32bit-7.4-11.1.x86_64
> xorg-x11-libxcb-devel-7.4-11.1.x86_64
> xorg-x11-libxcb-7.4-11.1.x86_64

libxcb-xlib.so.0 does not exist anymore.  Current XCB does not build or
ship it, and xcb_xlib_lock no longer exists.  If an application (or more
likely some library that application links to) still uses that symbol or
library, the application or library needs rebuilding against current
Xlib and XCB.

Note that due to the insanity of some build tools, sometimes
applications end up linking against libraries that they don't actually
need but their dependencies do, such as libxcb-xlib.
"objdump -p /path/to/application | grep NEEDED" will show you the exact
list of libraries the application links against.  If libxcb-xlib appears
in that list, the application needs rebuilding; otherwise one of its
dependencies does.

> The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.

Kinda pointless for a mail sent to a public mailing list. ;)

- Josh Triplett