[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 10 11:21:40 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 09:39 -0700, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> Yay, go Arnaud!
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Arnaud Fontaine <arnaud at andesi.org> wrote:
> > I have almost finished to split up xcb-util repositories (finally...). I
> > have prepared  patches for xorg-util-macros[0][1], if the  new M4 macros
> > are  not general  enough to  be part  of xorg-util-macros,  I  will just
> > create a  Git submodule for  them.
> >
> > [0] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~arnau/xorg-util-macros/commit/?id=28c561b3dd5729ffa511cfb3727dfff36477d80a
> > [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~arnau/xorg-util-macros/commit/?id=309b691da4d7a3c7e72f1b8a71c1fc18a7039cea
>
> Gaetan Nadon seems to have become de-facto maintainer of
> xorg-util-macros, so CC'd. Gaetan, could you review these two macros?
> Thanks...

Sure. I am a bit out of context. I'll spend some time looking around.

In the mean tine, consider the strict backward compatibility
restrictions of putting a macro
in utils-macros package. The first libraries you ship with it are
expected to build fine
with all future versions of the macros, for decades. Any changes you
make in the macros
are expected not to break the very first library shipped.

> > Also, I call XORG_STRICT_VERSION which in turns call AC_PROG_CC_C99, any
> > problem with that?
>
> I guess you mean XORG_STRICT_OPTION? If X.Org can get away with
> requiring C99 compilers, then I'm certainly happy to go along.
>
> Except that libX11, for example, calls XORG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS which
> includes XORG_STRICT_OPTION, but then later it calls AC_PROG_CC, and
> from the comments in xorg-macros.m4 I guess that means libX11 is only
> asking for C89? Perhaps the XCB utility libraries should do the same
> unless they depend on C99 features.
>
> Maybe you can explain this to us, Gaetan?

The packages (about 240 of them) used the AC_PROG_CC macro to setup the
compiler environment
(in config.log look for CC='gcc'). Later the XORG_STRICT_OPTION was
added and called from XORG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS,
but most of the time it gets overridden by AC_PROG_CC. If not, you see
CC='gcc -std=gnu99' in the log.

If you grep all config.log, about half the packages have one and half
have the other. Very consistent :-)
I am in the process of removing AC_PROG_CC. I don't recall hearing about
any issues with this.