[Xcb] XCB Workshop?

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Feb 1 10:20:29 PST 2010

On 2009-12-14 19:16, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:
> I would have been happy to come but it would be too expensive for me and
> considering that I'm  not a core developer at all, I  think it would not
> make sense  to ask for sponsorship.  Hope there will  be another meeting
> nearer ;).

I think it would make perfect sense for you to ask for a sponsorship.

I can't speak for my employer, but perhaps I can give you a bit of
perspective from inside one of the companies that has contributed to the
X Consortium in the past.

In general: The money was contributed to X.org for the purpose of
fostering a standardized and strong X11 ecosystem. Without any apps
participating in that ecosystem, the standard is worthless.

As applied to XCB: Our products are most often used in a remote,
over-the-network environment. XCB's ability to hide latency is very
important to a good user experience in this environment. So the more app
developers we can convince to embrace XCB, the better it is for us and
our customers.

As it pertains to you: Without XCB API users present at the workshop, we
run the risk of developing "ivory tower" solutions that don't help you
at all. We don't want to do that. We want to make XCB compelling for
you, and others like you.

In short, XCB API users have an important perspective on XCB that I
(personally) do not have. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

If you wish to attend, please do not feel shy about asking for support.
That's the whole reason the money is there.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.opentext.com/