[Xcb] [xpyb] SendEvent considered unusable

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Feb 4 05:27:49 PST 2010

Hi,

I've played with SendEvent today. It seems totally unusable as it is.

For people not knowing xpyb, here is how it is defined:

  def SendEvent(self, propagate, destination, event_mask, event):
      buf.write(str(buffer(array('b', event))))

Meaning event has to be a buffer actually. I had to write:

    buf = struct.pack("BB2xIIII12x",
                      33, # XCB_CLIENT_MESSAGE
                      32, self.xid, Atom("WM_PROTOCOLS").value,
                      Atom("WM_TAKE_FOCUS").value,
                      xcb.xproto.Time.CurrentTime)

To send a message, because you cannot instanciante a
ClientMessageEvent without having a buffer to initialize it, anyway.

We also miss the opcode of events (like XCB_CLIENT_MESSAGE is 33).

Eamon, do you think there is something we could do about that?
I agree the generated code is correct, but that seems totally
unusable to me.

PS: I already have been bitten by GetProperty returning
xcb.List of Byte being a PITA to convert myself, and now that,
it is too much for me. :-)

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou