[Xcb] cursorfont definitions for XCB?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Jul 20 09:40:41 PDT 2010

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Barton C Massey wrote:
>> How many of the X cursor font glyphs are mappable to
>> something in Unicode?  It might conceivably be nice to
>> produce a version of the cursor font for modern apps that
>> mapped just those glyphs that aren't in Unicode to the
>> Unicode user-defined space.  For example, this would make it
>> easier to write documentation with cursor glyphs in it.
>
> Comparing to the http://www.unicode.org/charts/ if we allowed a bit of
> liberty, it seems quite a few could be mapped to Unicode glyphs in the
> symbols and dingbats ranges:
>
> XC_X_cursor -> ✕ (U2715, MULTIPLICATION X)
> XC_X_pencil -> ✎ (U270E, LOWER RIGHT PENCIL)
> XC_umbrella -> ☂ (U2602, UMBRELLA)
> XC_gumby -> ☃ (U2603, SNOWMAN - not quite, but less trademarked)
> XC_star -> ☆ (U2606, WHITE STAR)
> XC_pirate -> ☠ (U2620, SKULL AND CROSSBONES)
>
> and there's all sorts of arrows and hands to choose from.

And it looks like the Unicode 6.0 update will add a lot more random
image glyphs that may fill in a few more:
	http://www.unicode.org/Public/6.0.0/charts/versioned/

XC_gobbler -> U1F413, ROOSTER
XC_boat -> U1F6A4, SPEEDBOAT
XC_coffee_mug -> U1F37A, BEER MUG
XC_exchange -> U1F503, ANTICLOCKWISE DOWNWARD & UPWARDS OPEN CIRCLE ARROWS

Though it will presumably take a while before we have fonts with those
included.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com