[Xcb] Setting the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR property on a window

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at andesi.org
Mon Mar 22 08:40:09 PDT 2010

    > No, alloca is just  as bad. Most alloca implementations behave the
    > same way  as variable-length arrays. The server  moved from alloca
    > to malloc  wholesale in 2007 because the server  devs got tired of
    > fixing alloca related crashes one at a time.

    > My point is  that alloca by any other name is  still just as prone
    > to stack overflows.

Yep, after posting this message, I re-read the alloca manpage which says
such thing, sorry ;).

    > iovec  lets you submit many  separate buffers as if  they were one
    > large  one. It  is needed to  avoid allocating another  buffer and
    > copying into it.

Sorry, my question was not clear.  I'm actually wondering why we need to
read/write to multiple buffers in the xcb client library?  This may be a
stupid question but I'm currently too tired to figure that out...

Arnaud