[Xcb] About next release of xcb/util

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Wed Mar 24 12:13:17 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 09:31:08PM +0100, Julien Danjou wrote:
> We need to sum up our decision because I'm not sure it's clear what we
> are advising Arnaud to do.
>
> What we go is:
> * Repository: xcb/util, building:
>   - xcb-atom.so
>   - xcb-aux.so
>   - xcb-event.so
>   - xcb-ewmh.so
>   - xcb-icccm.so
>   - xcb-image.so
>   - xcb-keysyms.so
>   - xcb-property.so
>   - xcb-renderutil.so
>   - xcb-reply.so
>
> What I propose:
> * Repository: xcb/util, building:
>   - xcb-util.so (merging:
>                  - xcb-atom.so
>                  - xcb-aux.so
>                  - xcb-icccm.so
>                  - xcb-ewmh.so
>                  - xcb-keysyms.so
>                  - Some part of the following, but most of the code
>                    should be removed because it's craps:
>                    - xcb-event.so
>                    - xcb-reply.so
>                    - xcb-property.so
> * Repository: xcb/image, building:
>   - xcb-image.so
> * Repository: xcb/renderutil, building:
>   - xcb-renderutil.so
>
> Based on the fact that most of the .so composing the future xcb-util are
> too small and too essential to be distributed on their own.
> Please amend my proposal and insult me if you disagree. :)

This seems like a *bad* idea to me at this stage.  I do agree that we
should build exactly one .so per repository.  However, I disagree that
we should merge a pile of libraries of varying maturity into a single
xcb-util.so.

I'd advocate, instead, that we keep exactly the libraries we have right
now, split them all into separate repos, and then *possibly* work on
distilling the best of these into an xcb-util.so in the future.

Review from previous messages in this thread already suggested that much
of xcb-aux seems unnecessary, and you already mentioned that event,
reply, and property mostly need to die.  We should probably do an
equally careful review of atom, icccm, and ewmh, to figure out what of
those needs to survive and what doesn't.

But I don't think any of that should stop Arnaud from splitting up the
repositories by libraries.

- Josh Triplett