[Xcb] About next release of xcb/util

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Mar 25 10:30:12 PDT 2010

Josh Triplett <josh at joshtriplett.org> writes:

> Trying to support both Xlib and XCB in the same library without relying
> on Xlib/XCB would necessarily require duplicate code paths, one using
> XCB calls and one using Xlib calls; that seems like a losing plan.

Already done that in libstartup-notification. :-(

> Libraries like Cairo, designed to have many different backends with the
> same frontend API, could manage such a design; however, even there the
> pain of having two interfaces to X proves painful, and current Cairo has
> a --with-xlib-xcb option that makes the Xlib backend call
> XGetXCBConnection and use the XCB backend. :)

I love that. They should drop Xlib support! (Carl, if you're reading… :-)

OTOH, taking a look at libxcursor and libxft, they both use Display and
no context pointer.

So I'm not sure what to do. I'd be happy to add a context to thus libs
and break the API, but I'm not sure I'd be welcome. Maybe I should talk
to upstream before losing my time.

Unless someone has other leads.

--
Julien Danjou