[Xcb] xcb_wait_for_reply deadlocking with xcb_property_changed call

Nicholas Allen nick.allen at onlinehome.de
Fri Mar 26 07:19:44 PDT 2010

Hi,

I had a problem a while ago with deadlocking that seems to have been
solved by moving from xlib to XCB and calling xcb_flush before
xcb_wait_for_event. However, I recently started experiencing this
deadlocking again. I've noticed it always happens when I call the

xcb_property_changed function from the property utils and the deadlock
happens inside xcb_wait_for_reply.

I only recently added this to the code so it could be that I'm doing
something wrong. The last time I had deadlocking problems it was because
I wasn't calling xcb_flush before waiting for the next event. Should I
be doing the same before calling xcb_property_changed function? Or
perhaps the xcb_property_changed function should be doing this itself
(this would make more sense to me). Couldn't xcb_wait_for_reply
automatically flush the connection first to prevent these kinds of problems?

Cheers,

Nick