[Xcb] xcb_wait_for_reply deadlocking with xcb_property_changed call

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Mar 31 09:59:16 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Nicholas Allen
<nick.allen at onlinehome.de> wrote:
> Jamey Sharp wrote:
>> Nick, I'm not sure you want to be handling events from multiple
>> threads.
> I'm not - at least not that I know of!

Ohhh. You ran "thread apply all bt full" a total of four times. That
was very confusing. :-)

A trivial replacement for the property library would be to issue the
GetProperty request from your event thread, then stick the cookie on a
queue. In another thread, loop dequeueing cookies and waiting on them.
Really, this is only hard if you want to avoid using threads, which is
not a problem you seem to have. :-)

Julien, the events Nick is seeing are all NewValue events, so
xcb-property really is calling xcb_wait_for_reply. I don't actually
see any way that could be going wrong; I just wanted to get your
opinion.

Jamey