[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at andesi.org
Tue Nov 16 06:55:24 PST 2010

Hi,

I have finally finished to split up xcb-util libraries. I know it should
have never taken  so long but, unfortunately, I have  been very busy for
the past few months. Everything mentioned in the thread has been done so
far (the summary is in sa5d3tqzvf3.fsf at Orfeo.duckcorp.org).

* Splitting up the repository

Here are the steps I followed  for each repository (I'm not a git expert
so feel free to comment on that ;)):

1/ 'git filter-branch --remap-to-ancestor -f --prune-empty --tree-filter
   "$SCRIPT.sh"'

   Where $SCRIPT is a  shell scripts removing the irrelevant directories
   according to the split up decided in the previous email.

2/ 'rm -rf .git/refs/original/ && git reflog expire --all && git gc
   --aggressive --prune'

3/ Clean up irrelevant commits  (listed below for each repository). Just
   to give an  example, in xcb/util (containing atom,  aux and event), I
   removed a  commit about util-renderutil.  Basically, I  wrote a small
   script which  lists all the  commits containing only  configure.ac in
   the diff and then perform a cleanup by hand.

4/  Use util-common-m4 as  a git  submodule for  the m4  directory. This
   repository  contains   autoconf  macros   common  to  all   the  util
   repositories and called in the configure.ac.

   Once you have cloned the git repository, you can get the m4 module by
   typing: 'git submodule update --init m4'.

5/ Apply patches  for the tasks mentioned in the  previous email. I will
   shortly send an email for  each repository containing all the patches
   written so they can be easily reviewed.

The final repositories are available there:

http://git.mini-dweeb.org/?p=arnau/xcb-util-split-clean/xcb/util-common-m4.git;a=summary
http://git.mini-dweeb.org/?p=arnau/xcb-util-split-clean/xcb/util.git;a=summary
http://git.mini-dweeb.org/?p=arnau/xcb-util-split-clean/xcb/util-wm.git;a=summary
http://git.mini-dweeb.org/?p=arnau/xcb-util-split-clean/xcb/util-renderutil.git;a=summary
http://git.mini-dweeb.org/?p=arnau/xcb-util-split-clean/xcb/util-keysyms.git;a=summary
http://git.mini-dweeb.org/?p=arnau/xcb-util-split-clean/xcb/util-image.git;a=summary

* Irrelevant commits removed from xcb/util:

+ Arnaud Fontaine: icccm: atoms previously defined in xcb_atom are now defined in xproto
+ Julien Danjou: icccm: fix compatibility with libxcb > 1.2
+ Julien Danjou: wm: remove
+ Jamey Sharp: New utility library: port of libXrender utility functions.

* Irrelevant commits removed from xcb/util-image:

+ Jamey Sharp: Delete callback-based APIs for events, properties, and replies.
+ Arnaud Fontaine: icccm: atoms previously defined in xcb_atom are now defined in xproto
+ Arnaud Fontaine: event: update to libxcb 1.4
+ Julien Danjou: icccm: fix compatibility with libxcb > 1.2
+ Julien Danjou: wm: remove
+ Arnaud Fontaine: [atom] Move '*discriminated_atom*' functions from icccm to atom
+ Bart Massey: added xcb_aux_get_depth_by_visual_id()
+ Jamey Sharp: Bug #6781: make util compile with srcdir != builddir.
+ Jamey Sharp: New utility library: port of libXrender utility functions.

* Irrelevant commits removed from xcb/util-keysyms:

+ Jamey Sharp: Delete callback-based APIs for events, properties, and replies.
+ Arnaud Fontaine: icccm: atoms previously defined in xcb_atom are now defined in xproto
+ Arnaud Fontaine: event: update to libxcb 1.4
+ Julien Danjou: icccm: fix compatibility with libxcb > 1.2
+ Julien Danjou: wm: remove
+ Arnaud Fontaine: [atom] Move '*discriminated_atom*' functions from icccm to atom
+ Bart Massey: added xcb_aux_get_depth_by_visual_id()
+ Jamey Sharp: Bug #6781: make util compile with srcdir != builddir.
+ Jamey Sharp: New utility library: port of libXrender utility functions.

* Irrelevant commits removed from xcb/util-renderutil:

+ Jamey Sharp: Delete callback-based APIs for events, properties, and replies.
+ Arnaud Fontaine: icccm: atoms previously defined in xcb_atom are now defined in xproto
+ Arnaud Fontaine: event: update to libxcb 1.4
+ Julien Danjou: wm: remove
+ Arnaud Fontaine: [atom] Move '*discriminated_atom*' functions from icccm to atom
+ Bart Massey: added xcb_aux_get_depth_by_visual_id()
+ Jamey Sharp: Bug #6781: make util compile with srcdir != builddir.

* Irrelevant commits removed from xcb/util-wm:

+ Arnaud Fontaine: event: update to libxcb 1.4
+ Julien Danjou: wm: remove
+ Bart Massey: added xcb_aux_get_depth_by_visual_id()
+ Jamey Sharp: New utility library: port of libXrender utility functions.

Feel free to send any comments or ask any questions!

Regards,
--
Arnaud Fontaine