[Xcb] An xcb/xtest newbie question

Jon Shemitz jshemitz at sta.samsung.com
Mon Oct 11 11:03:22 PDT 2010

I am trying to use xtest to fake keyboard and mouse events. My daemon seems to connect to X via xcb just fine:  xcb_connect(NULL, NULL) returns a non-NULL xcb_window_t. I can call xcb_get_setup and xcb_setup_roots_iterator and get a root window handle that agrees with xwininfo. But I am having no luck at all with xcb_test_fake_input.

I call

    xcb_void_cookie_t cookie =
    xcb_test_fake_input(xcb,
        /* type */      MOTION_NOTIFY, /*=6*/
        /* detail */    0, //relative ? 1 : 0,
        /* time */      0,//time(NULL),
        /* root */      xcb_root_window,
        /* rootX */     x,
        /* rootY */     y,
        /* deviceid */  0);

... and nothing happens.

The same thing happens when I try to fake key input:

    xcb_test_fake_input(xcb,
                        /* type */      press
? KEY_PRESS /*3*/ : KEY_RELEASE /*4*/,
                        /* detail */    keycode,
                        /* time */      0,
                        /* root */      0,
                        /* rootX */     0,
                        /* rootY */     0,
                        /* deviceid */  0);

I imagine there's a key concept or two that I am missing here - any help would be appreciated.