[Xcb] xlib / xcb deadlock/block

Francesco Abbate francesco.bbt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 09:11:05 PDT 2010

2010/10/19 Peter Harris <pharris at opentext.com>:
> If your app does a lot of querying, the benefit can be dramatic. If your
> app does not, the benefit can be close to zero.
>
> See http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/entry/porting_xwininfo_to_xcb for a more
> thorough discussion.

Hi Peter,

thank you very much for the explications. I'm a little bit perplexed
about the extrapolation you are doing from a small utils like xwininfo
and I'm wondering about the benefit for real-world, full-fledged,
applications.

I my application the main loop is:
XCreateImage()
XPutImage()
XDestroyImage()
XSync()

I create the image at each time because the dimensions changes but the
allocated buffer is always the same.

Do you think that in this case I can have a significant benefit with xcb ?
What should be, roughly, the xcb calls that I should use ?

--
Francesco