[Xcb] _Problems_ in GSoC, 2011

vikash agrawal vikashagrawal1990 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 22:01:49 PDT 2011

Hello Everyone and Josh,
First of all, I am working very slowly and I apologise for that
But from past few days I am facing several problems. I was trying to
understand c_client.py but there are several variables that I couldn't
figure out, I wasnt able to get the complete senseof these variables
correctly as a result I coudnt understand it to the best [ Having a small
description on variables name and there usage, in the file like fmt, idx or
functions like _n or _c_type_setup would serve the very purpose and would
also act as a documentation on the same. On some instances I tried to
comment the code but did fail as a whole]
 I was very scared and worried too today, with my work and understandability
of the code [ Being my first open source contribution, I am really nervous
]
As a result I mailed Christopher R [ He has always helped me and I do thank
him for that ] and contacted pharris on IRC. A vote of thanks to both of you
for guiding me and solving catering my needs.

Finally I have thought to make up a small schedule for some time ( say till
my next milestone )

   -     As per pharris, I will start with something small like shape.xml or
   something else.
   -     I will compile it and then try to understand the generation on
   shape.h and shape.c
   -     [ Will I need to write test cases ? ] [ if yes the should I go for
   python or C and is there a supporting link for this ]
   -     Say, if I understand it then I will move to xproto.xml, ( or
   xkb.xml )
   -     This patch might take some time for me as I have to start from
   scratch all over again
   -     After this I will once again shift to c_client.py. [ If a
   description can be documented then it would be of great help ]

Please let me know if I am going wrong some where, I might also shoot many
questions in near future

Sorry for the trouble, Hope this does not annoy anyone

Regards

Vikash Agrawal