[Xcb] libX11 / xcb / glibc / xine-lib Problem

vdr at helmutauer.de vdr at helmutauer.de
Thu Mar 10 02:22:04 PST 2011

Hello List

I don't know if this is the right place , but i'll try my luck :)
I have a gentoo based HTPC distribution, and i'm working on a stable
solution to get HDTV running with vdr backend and a xine-lib 1.2 based
frontend with vdpau.
This scenario worked well with glibc 2.10, libX11 < 1.4 including xcb and
xcb.
After upgrading to glibc 2.11 i have to use the "LOCKDISPLAY" workaround,
which implents a call to XLockDisplay()/XUnlockDisplay() around all vdpau
video surface calls, to prevent a hangup of the xine frontend.
If I use libX11 without xcb this LOCKDISPLAY workaround is not necessary.
Now with libX11 > 1.4 its no longer possible not to use xcb.

The LOCKDISPLAY workaround has the disandvantage, that frames were
dropped, so at the moment my distribution stucks at libX11 without xcb,
but thats not a long term solution.
Unfortunately I have no knowledge about these libs, and I can only guess
which of the affected parts ( glibc, libX1, xcb or xine-lib ) is causing
the problem, so any help of you will be highly appreciated to track down
the problem.

Thanks for any hints

Helmut