[Xcb] XCB's making my life difficult, can you help?

Jiri Wackermann jw at igpp.de
Mon Mar 21 07:29:51 PDT 2011

Hi --

I have a program using Xlib, developed on a MacBook with Mac OS X / BSD,
and running perfectly OK on this one as well as on an older ppc-based
iBook. So things are fine as long as I stay with BSD Unix and
years-proven Xlib.
Things become different as soon as I port the program on a PC running
openSUSE 11. I receive mysterious warnings from 'libxcb', seemingly
harmless; but occasionally the program gets aborted because of a failed
assertion in xcb_lock.c: 77: _XGetXCBBuffer blablabla...
What can I do? I don't intend to twiddle with the system internals, and
not to study recent developments, either.  While I am generally
sympathetic to efforts such as XCB, to make things lighter, more
transparent, and (hopefully) correct --- I'd prefer to see my program
running on the Linux machine, just for demonstration and teaching
purpose. (Fortunately, the target machine for the program's use in the
lab is the old Mac :-)
Can anyone help?  How can I shield myself from the wave of modernity and
keep my old-fashioned Xlib-based programs running?

Thanks in advance
Jiri Wackermann

Dr. Jiri Wackermann
Dept. of Empirical and Analytical Psychophysics
Institute for Frontier Areas of Psychology and Mental Health
Wilhelmstrasse 3a
D-79098 Freiburg i. Br. (Germany)

phone: (+49 761) 207 2171 [direct]
phone: (+49 761) 207 2170 [secretary]