[Xcb] XCB documentation effort

Michael Stapelberg michael+xcb at stapelberg.de
Mon Nov 21 14:33:40 PST 2011

Hi everybody,

we just concluded in #i3 that XCB is poorly documented (no news here). I/We
want to fix this. I’ll list a few random thoughts:

1) The wiki could needs some love. Not sure if our primary focus should be
   on the wiki, though?
2) We need manpages for functions, just like Xlib has them. We can start by
   just using the X11 protocol description for every request (automatically
   generating that) and then enhance it with human-written
   descriptions/additions/examples.
3) The function documentation should probably end up in doxygen as well, though
   I’m not an experienced doxygen user.

Here are my questions to you:

1) Is anyone *currently* *actively* working on documentation? If so, what’s
   your status/goals/timeline?
2) Does anyone object to my thoughts above and if so, why?
3) Did I miss anything that seems important?
4) Do you have any hints/tips?

Best regards,
Michael