[Xcb] XCB documentation effort

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Thu Nov 24 09:07:15 PST 2011

On 2011-11-23 19:23, Michael Stapelberg wrote:

> I have attached the current state (the patch against libxcb and the patch
> against xcb-proto) and the resulting manpages (those which actually have
> content).
>
> I appreciate reviews and corrections/suggestions/enhancements. Thanks!

Looking good.

There are a few things I've noticed. I'm not sure which you are aware
of, so I'll just list them all:

- The man pages include proto names instead of xcb names (eg. See also:
MapWindow(3)). You're probably going to want to mangle those in
c_client.py so that "man <copy-and-paste>" actually works.

- The names in xproto.xml are case sensitive. There is an error
described in the document named "Window", but not "WINDOW". This should
be fixed (at the very least, it may confuse the name mangling. See
previous point). Of lesser importance, <error name=""> would be more
consistent than <error type="">.

- You haven't updated src/xcb.xsd yet, so "make check" in xcb/proto
fails. You're still fleshing out what you want, so I don't expect this
to be done yet. I just mention it so it doesn't fall off your TO DO
list. On a related note, doc/xml-xcb.txt also needs to be updated,
eventually.

Thanks,
 Peter Harris
--