[Xcb] [RFC v0 proto] Add XInput2 protocol description

Peter Harris git at peter.is-a-geek.org
Mon Dec 3 15:54:20 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 04:21:35PM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
>> On 2012-12-03 16:05, Daniel Martin wrote:
>> > I've choosen to make it in a seperate file, cause the extension name is
>> > nearly the only thing both versions have in common and XI2 superseeds
>> > the functionallity provided by XI.
>>
>> Except for the QueryVersion request, which is only present in the XI1
>> description. I suppose it could be duplicated in xinput2.xml, but see below.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this comment. QueryVersion is an XI2-only request,
> the equivalent in XI1 doesn't allow negotiating the client's version.
> There is also XI1's GetExtensionVersion which is XI1-only and should remain
> in xinput.xml.

You're right, I misspoke. I meant GetExtensionVersion.

If you don't GetExtensionVersion, how do you know it is safe[1] to
issue XI2 requests (Including QueryVersion)?

Peter Harris

[1] I suppose an argument can be made that we're talking about XCB,
which can sanely handle the BadRequest error an older server will
generate.