[Xcb] documentation patches

Michael Stapelberg michael+xcb at stapelberg.de
Wed Jan 11 10:27:58 PST 2012

Hi Uli,

Thanks for having a look.

Excerpts from Uli Schlachter's message of 2012-01-11 16:07:44 +0000:
> > +    if self.doc:
> > +        if self.doc.brief:
> > +            _h(' * @brief ' + self.doc.brief)
> > +        else:
> > +            _h(' * No brief doc yet')
> > +
> > +    _h(' *')
> Should the "No brief doc yet"-case generate a warning on stderr? Or should this
> write a log to some file, similar to what doxygen does? Or could one add an
> error on purpose in that case, so that this shows up in doxygen's log?
Hm, I can’t find a keyword which will make doxygen do that. But, who actually
reads the doxygen log in reality? It’s HUGE for xcb. Just grepping for 'No
brief doc yet' is an easier way, or (and that’s the way I thought it will
happen) looking at the docs, noticing there are no docs for the particular
thing you’re interested in, figuring it out, sending a patch.

> Do you plan to fix the remaining "XXX"s in there? If not, what stops them from
> staying in there forever after this was merged? (I don't really mind, but I do
> think that "staying in there forever" isn't optimal)
I agree it’s not optimal. I might fix them sometime in the future, but don’t
take my word for it. They are in so that other people who read the source are
aware of it.

> WTF is up with src/list_of_manpages.inc? Could that get some line breaks? Also,
That is due to autotools stupidity, see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xcb/7152

> does this really have to be maintained by hand? Ssince this depends on the
> version of xproto used, how should this work at all? This essentially means that
> every addition to xproto will cause a commit to libxcb to be needed.
Yes, and I agree that it sucks. Solutions welcome :).

> src/static-man/xcb-examples.3:
> FLUSHING:
> This should *explain* flushing before giving optimizing suggestions. :-/
I added this paragraph:

    Flushing means calling \fIxcb_flush\fP to clear the XCB-internal write
    buffer and send all pending requests to the X11 server. You don't
    explicitly need to flush before using a reply function (like
    \fIxcb_query_pointer_reply\fP), but you do need to flush before entering
    the event loop of your program.

Does that make it clear enough?

> COMPILATION:
> I'd drop that whole paragraph. Does this really fit into a manpage?
I don’t know. The manpage contains everything there is to know about the code
examples, so I figured people would read that and be encouraged to help us in
that respect. Does it hurt to have it there?

> CODING STYLE:
> Just drop this.
See above. It’s intended for contributors who want to submit manpages in a
consistent way. I have no strong opinion on this one, but having the coding
style documented somewhere is a good thing.

> All in all, this man page doesn't feel all that manual-y to me.
I think it’s helpful for understanding the examples.

> xcb-requests.3:
>
> "datastructure" should be "data structure"
Changed, thanks.

> CHECKED VS. UNCHECKED:
>
> This explains that unchecked errors go to the event loop, but it doesn't really
> say that checked errors are returned by xcb_request_check(). This should be
> mentioned more boldly IMHO.
Hm, it does:

    If you want to explicitly check for errors in a blocking fashion, call the
    _checked version of the function (for example \fIxcb_map_window_checked\fP) and
    use \fIxcb_request_check\fP.

If that is not boldly enough, please suggest better wording :).

> [The example after this code uses "event_type == 0 => is an error", perhaps this
> should be mentioned more prominently, too?)
Uhm, it is:

    For requests which have no reply (for example \fIxcb_map_window\fP), errors
    will be delivered to the event loop (you will receive an X11 event of type 0
    when calling \fIxcb_poll_for_event\fP).

It seems like you skipped over that paragraph? :)

Best regards,
Michael

BTW: Updated code is in the github repository. I will re-send the patch after
the rest was reviewed (unless someone wants me to re-send now).