[Xcb] xinput2 - request for help and comments

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Sat Nov 10 11:05:31 PST 2012

Hi,

On 05.11.2012 20:25, Daniel Martin wrote:
> I'm working on bringing xinput2 support to xcb and I need a helping hand
> and one or the other suggestion.

Thanks, that's a great thing!

> Lots of things are straight forward, but the reply of the QueryDevice
> request is very complex and can't be processed with the current
> implementation of xcbgen.

Some day, people who write X11 extensions should be forced to also write the
needed XCB-XML for their extension. That would make so much things so much easier...

[...]
> I appreciate any suggestions, much more if it simplifies something. Or
> if you're more skilled in Python than I'm, which is not difficult, and
> could try to enhance xcbgen the way which is necessary to solve this
> issue, that would be fantastic, too.

I am really sorry, but I have no idea how I could help you. Sadly, I don't know
any python. The only reason for writing this mail is for saying "thanks for
working on this" (and perhaps bringing this thread back to life makes someone
more skilled with python come up with a good suggestion...?).

However, I agree with you that it would be great to hide these variable-length
list elements behind some iterators. Otherwise, it would be almost impossible to
figure out how this can be used.

Oh and one minor suggestion: I would prefer some XML file in xcb/proto which
describes as much of XInput2 as possible over no XML file at all. So if the code
generator fights against you too much, it would be great if you would submit the
working parts instead of having it hidden somewhere on your HDD.

Cheers,
Uli
--
- Captain, I think I should tell you I've never
  actually landed a starship before.