[Xcb] Error in xkb.xml?

mark at markwitmer.com mark at markwitmer.com
Wed May 29 00:00:09 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm working on an xcb client in Guile Scheme, and it handles fields with
enum and mask properties pretty carefully. This caused me to run into an
issue in xkb.xml, where, for example, the SelectEvents request is
defined (in part) as follows:

<request name="SelectEvents" opcode="1">
         <field name="deviceSpec" type="DeviceSpec" />
         <field name="affectWhich" type="CARD16" enum="EventType" />
         <field name="clear" type="CARD16" enum="EventType" />
         <field name="selectAll" type="CARD16" enum="EventType" />
         <field name="affectMap" type="CARD16" enum="MapPart" />
         <field name="map" type="CARD16" enum="MapPart" />
         <switch name="details">
... etc ...

Should the enum properties in this case be mask properties? You should
be able to have multiple bits set for these fields; otherwise, most of
the subsequent switch expression isn't usable.

This probably isn't an issue for the C client, but my client takes a
symbol as an argument for enum values and a list of symbols for masks
(the symbols correspond to the names of values in the enum), so the
difference is crucial.

I'm getting closed to finishing my client so hopefully I'll have an
announcement and some source code in the near future.

Thanks

--

Mark Witmer