[Xcb] Docs?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Aug 11 15:52:29 PDT 2014

Robert Koretsky writes:

> I don't want to be a developer, nor install the source to get to some simple
> yet complete documentation on Request and Event functions. I'm also VERY new
> to C programming, and don't want to write programs that contain the functions
> that are in the tutorial.

XCB is a very thin layer on top of the X protocol. The documentation you're
looking for is here

http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html

XCB's function map directly onto the messages and events.

For example, TranslateCoordinates is mapped directly onto the
xcb_translate_coordinates() function, and the reply message,
xcb_translate_coordinates_reply_t, is returned by
xcb_translate_coordinates_reply().

The same convention holds true for all X messages. Additional work is needed
to handle replies, and events.

Additionally, if you're new to C programming, this is probably shouldn't be
your first choice for learning material. There are plenty of smaller, easier
targets.

Why don't you try writing something that uses the zlib library. It's much
smaller and easier to understand.

Finally, neither XCB, nor the X documentation, will actually explain you how
the X protocol works, aside from the terse documentation for each message.
You must know how X works, if you don't, you'll be lost. This documentation
is for the API, it's not an X protocol tutorial. The two are not the same.