[Xcb] xcb_set_screen_saver weird behavior

Philip Rushik prushik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 08:32:58 PDT 2014

Found this in xcb/xproto.h

xcb_set_screen_saver (xcb_connection_t *c  /**< */,
                      int16_t           timeout  /**< */,
                      int16_t           interval  /**< */,
                      uint8_t           prefer_blanking  /**< */,
                      uint8_t           allow_exposures  /**< */);

Found a documentation stub here:
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/man/man3/xcb_set_screen_saver.3.xhtml

I read in the xscreensaver source that xsetscreensaver (seems to be the
xlib equivalent) takes the number of seconds until the screensaver should
kick in. I tried that but still get no screensaver events. However, I
figured it might be milliseconds instead, so I tried 60000 for the timeout
and then I get a screensaver event immediately after calling
xcb_set_screen_saver() and then nothing ever again, but obviously the
function does _something_.

I also see this struct in xcb/xproto.h

typedef struct xcb_set_screen_saver_request_t {
    uint8_t  major_opcode; /**<  */
    uint8_t  pad0; /**<  */
    uint16_t length; /**<  */
    int16_t  timeout; /**<  */
    int16_t  interval; /**<  */
    uint8_t  prefer_blanking; /**<  */
    uint8_t  allow_exposures; /**<  */
} xcb_set_screen_saver_request_t;

Although I can't figure out how or where it is meant to be used as this
seems to be the only reference to it.

Anybody know what is happening here? What do the parameters of
xcb_set_screen_saver mean? Is that struct defined but never used?

Regards,
--Philip