[Xcb] xcb_sync_list_system_counters(3) documentation broken

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Apr 19 22:45:27 PDT 2015

On 04/19/15 05:00 PM, Chris Nehren wrote:
> On a related note, are there any efforts or projects to
> improve the documentation? I am finding both the Xlib and xcb
> documentation to be sparse or lacking altogether,

We've put in a good deal of effort there in past years, but progress
has been slow lately as there's simply been no one willing to do the
work.  xcb made a good start at providing man pages for all the functions,
but unfortunately, work fizzled out before finishing.

Still, I think the documentation on
	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/index.html
is far improved from the first X.Org release at
	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R6.7.0/doc/
or even the state just a few years prior
	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/index.html

For Xlib, the best reference online is
	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libX11/libX11/libX11.html
or the pdf form of that at
	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libX11/libX11/libX11.pdf
but there's been a bunch of updates to the docs in the tree you can get
from a current build that aren't reflected there.

Unfortunately, the lack of an X11R7.8 release means we've not updated
the docs on the web in recent years, something I'd love to resolve
someday by making a /current/ doc page to hold the latest docs between
the X11R7.x katamari releases, but have not had time to.

 > and do not
> fancy reading header files or source code to guess at how to
> use things (scowling at you, libxml2).

That one is completely out of our hands - libxml2 has nothing to do
with the X Window System, but came out of the GNOME project for
parsing XML format files, and is now hosted at http://www.xmlsoft.org/
(where there does seem to be a reference manual, though I've not looked
  through it).

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com